Tuesday 26 August 2014

1950's Cherry Dress- Ms J's Flat Pattern Cutting and Draping!!!



Just as the Summer draws to a close, I finally finish my Cherry Dress.  It took my so long to make in between my other commitments, but it was so worth the effort! This dress is just lovely.  Even if I say so myself!!!
These dresses were my inspiration.

My challenge was:
Can you, seriously, draft a dress similar to this from scratch and sew it together??

This took me out of my patternmaking box, as I had to think about how to draft these design features instead of just doing what I know to do. Although I didn't do the pockets. Old habits die hard eh?

I had to call on my trusty tailors dummy so we could do some draping together. I then translated that into a flat paper pattern.

This cherry fabric is louder than I usually wear, but sometimes a girl needs a change.  It's a lovely cotton but to make the double pleats pop like I wanted, I decided to underline with a plain cream cotton instead of lining the traditional way.

Yes, I know, I could have ironed the fabic before taking the picture. Hangs head in shame.

And here it is!


 Low back, double inverted box pleats, waistband, lapped zip and underlined thoughout.
The Cherry Dress feels heavy, pleats look crisp, it's very eyecatching and looks even better on, but there's no picture coz you know me, I'm shy!!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog without which I wouldn't have found yours. Love your dress... great job drafting, I particularly love the double pleats and the cherries. Don't be shy, show us it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer Flies for your comment.
      So cool that you sew for your family, they're lucky to get your exclusive design!

      Delete
  2. Found you through the Curvy Sewing blog (the comments). I love a cherry print, and this one is soooo lovely, and love what you've done with it. Please put a 'subscribe' button in your layout and I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SJ Kurtz,
      What a great message to recieve! Really happy to know that you like my cherry dress.
      I've added a subscribe button. Hope I've done it properly. I'm new to blogging, but lovely comments like tis keep me inspired. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hello Miss J,

    I love the double inverted pleats, I recently made a skirt with double box pleats, which is really only the reverse side of yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nedoux!
      Hope all is well with you and thanks so much for your comment, glad that you like the pleats. I'm really happy with how they came out!
      I was interested to see your skirt so I went to your blog and had a look. It's lovely, a great shade of yellow.
      Your knotty dress is brilliant and I'm impressed at how you manipulated that cotton material. It would be good to know if you've tried it again in different fabrics. All the best, J.

      Delete
  4. Hi Miss J,

    I am doing well, thank you. I have been checking your blog for new posts, please write soon :-)

    The knotty dress is probably the most challenging project I ever worked on and the one I'm most proud of. I have considered making a peplum top with the knotty design, using a lighter fabric, I just haven't come around to getting it done. I will let you know as soon I do.

    Warm regards...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Nedoux
    Lovely to hear from you! Hope life is treating you well.
    I'm afraid I've let too much time slide between posts, but I am rectifying that!
    Yes, I would love to see your peplum top in the knotty design, that would be a look! Keep up the great posts they are inspiring.
    All the best,
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss J,
    I love your dress, especially the fabric. Where did you get it from?
    Keep sewing, you are clearly very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Greta, that's so lovely of you to say!
    I bought this material in a shop called Fabricland, it's a small chain of shops that sell a wide range of notions and fabric.
    Don't know that I'm talented, I'm still learning!!!

    ReplyDelete